In the Battle of the Grains, it looks like Quinoa is the new crown prince. It has become a new favorite among health enthusiasts worldwide. But just because it is trending now does not mean that rice is the worst food to include in your diet. It is important to include healthy choices in your diet but your personal choice should also be taken into consideration when choosing foods.
If you like rice, there is some good news.
Both quinoa and rice have health benefits and can be part of a healthy lifestyle. You just need to know what is better for you based on your health. For example, white rice is good for those recovering from a stomach bug. There are pros and cons to each of them. So, you break it down to understand it better.
Quinoa VS. Rice
Health Benefits of Quinoa
Quinoa is not a grain, but the seed of the goosefoot plant. It is cooked and eaten like grains and contains similar nutrients. Some of its health benefits include:
1) For a seed so small, quinoa is loaded with protein. It contains all the essential amino acids required by the body.
2) It is gluten free, but you should take care when buying these seeds. Buy only certified people to avoid any complications, especially when you are suffering from celiac diseases or are sensitive to gluten.
3) It contains fiber - a reason that makes quinoa the supreme food. Eating foods high in fiber helps prevent constipation, lower cholesterol levels, and keeps blood sugar under control.
4) They are also rich in iron, magnesium, manganese, zinc, phosphorus, calcium, potassium and selenium - all of which are healthy for your body.
5) It has anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it very good for your stomach.
Health Benefits of Rice
Rice is a staple in many countries around the world. It comes in various shapes and sizes, but white and brown rice are the most popular types. Health benefits of rice include:
1) Like quinoa, rice is gluten free. However, some types of rice such as flavored rice or gluten used in sushi may be included.
2) Brown rice is a good source of selenium, magnesium, manganese, copper, calcium and zinc.
3) White rice is easy to digest because they are light, which is why it is recommended when people feel nauseous.
4) Brown rice is high in fiber and makes you feel full for a long time, which leads to weight loss. Also Buy Chia Seeds for Weight Loss.
5) Including brown rice in your diet can help keep your blood pressure under control, increase potassium, reduce blood vessel damage, and control blood sugar.
Which one is healthier?
The key to staying healthy is eating a balanced diet. Therefore, it is quite difficult to say which one is healthier. It all depends on the health and needs of a person. Some differences include taking into consideration:
1) Quinoa is a complete protein, while neither brown nor white rice contains all amino acids. Including protein-rich foods in your diet is important for proper nutrition.
2) Both quinoa and rice can make you last longer, but quinoa has the edge of rice when it is due to the high amount of fiber in it.
3) With quinoa, you get your daily dose of healthy carbs which is not the case with white rice. Brown rice, by contrast, is a good source of complex carbs.
4) Both rice and quinoa are gluten free. But quinoa is healthier because it contains more important nutrients.
5) When it comes to calories, rice has fewer calories than quinoa. A cup of quinoa contains 222 calories, while a cup of brown rice contains 218 calories and white rice has 111 calories.
6) Quinoa has more potassium than rice, making it a great choice for people with high blood pressure, kidney stones or weak bones.